Below you’ll find a quick reference to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding Sacred Heart’s online MSW program.
- What are the admission requirements for the MSW degree program?
- Who are the instructors in the online MSW program?
- What types of students take the online Master’s in Social Work program?
- Do I have to take classes at a certain time?
- How much time does it take to complete courses in the online MSW program?
- How long is each class session?
- How long will it take to earn my degree?
- What are the technical requirements for online learning?
- How do I get started?
- Is the Master of Social Work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)?
- Is it possible to take the MSW program on-campus at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield?
To be considered for admission, applicants must have a bachelor's degree with at least a 3.0 GPA.
Advanced Standing students who enter the program can graduate in as little as a year. To qualify as an Advanced Standing student, you’ll need a Bachelors’ in Social Work earned within the last 6 years from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
The faculty members who teach on-campus at Sacred Heart University are of the same caliber as the faculty that teach our online social work courses. Our distinguished faculty members have years of experience and in many cases, are published extensively in their subjects of concentration. Read about their backgrounds on the MSW Faculty page.
Our students hail from a variety of educational and professional backgrounds, but they share the same goal to assist individuals, families and groups in achieving progressive life changes and a positive state of mental health. They need the flexibility in their lives to take courses online at convenient times, and finish the program at their own pace.
Students are located throughout the entire US — it’s another reason they choose our program. In their commitment to diversity, they find the varied geographic locations of their peers provides a diverse learning experience through the shared perspectives and experiences offered during discussions.
No. Online MSW coursework is completely asynchronous so you don’t have to worry about being online at a certain time of day. Our flexible format allows students to access courses at times convenient to them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Online learning requires as much time and effort as a traditional campus course. In general, we suggest that you plan on spending between twelve and fifteen hours each week for each three-credit course.
Each class session is 16 weeks long.
The 60 hours of credits can be completed full-time in four semesters over two years, or part-time between two and four years.
- Have experience with using the Internet to communicate and find information.
- Know how to use word processing software (Microsoft Word).
- Know how to download files.
- Be able to read and send e-mail, attach document files to e-mail messages, etc.
You will need a computer with an up-to-date operating system and a connection to the Internet.
The Sacred Heart University Masters in Social Work program is currently in the process of applying for CSWE Accreditation. Candidacy Status was achieved in February 2017 — students are considered to have graduated from a CSWE-accredited social work program when they are admitted in the academic year candidacy is achieved.
SHU boasts a reputable BSW Program since 1981, and has fulfilled all accreditation and re-accreditation requirements successfully. It is expected that the MSW Program accreditation will proceed successfully, especially given the leadership, talent of faculty, and the support of the administration.
CSWE accreditation is a multi-step process utilizing a benchmark framework that includes program self-studies, site visits, and Committee on Accreditation (COA) reviews. The process takes a minimum of three years. The steps in the process are as follows:
Pre-candidacy status: preliminary planning
- Candidacy status: approval to begin program and accept students
- Full Accreditation: all accreditation requirements achieved
- Initial Accreditation covers those students who were admitted in the academic year in which the program was granted candidacy and they are considered to have graduated from a CSWE-accredited social work program.
Our current program status towards accreditation is:
- Licensure by CT State Office of Higher Education: Achieved October 2015
- Pre-candidacy status: Achieved May 2016
- Candidacy status: Achieved February 2017
- Full Accreditation: Anticipated February 2019
Yes, the MSW is offered in both an online and on-campus delivery. Coursework is held at our main Fairfield, CT campus. For more information regarding the on-campus option, please visit us here.
To learn more about the unique Master of Social Work (MSW) program at Sacred Heart University and how it helps you to become a well-rounded leader in social work, request more information or call us toll free: (877)791-7181.