Below, you'll find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the MSN online program from Sacred Heart University.
- What are the admission requirements for the FNP program?
- If I’m already in the Sacred Heart MSN program, can I transfer to the FNP?
- Who are the instructors in the online FNP program?
- What types of students take the online FNP degree program?
- Do I have to take classes at a certain time?
- How much time does it take to complete courses in the online FNP program?
- How long is each class session?
- How long does it take to become a Family Nurse Practitioner?
- When can I start the program?
- What are the technical requirements for online learning?
- How do I get started?
- Are there opportunities to study or conduct clinicals abroad?
- Are there any state restrictions?
- Is there a residency for the FNP program?
- How do I plan for the campus residency component?
- Will I have to travel for my clinical?
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited college or BA/BS in related field, with a minimum GPA of 3.2 for the FNP Track. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for the CNL, NMEL and NE Tracks.
- Current unencumbered Connecticut RN license (or for online students, RN licensure in the state of professional practice) and residency.
- Proof of professional liability insurance
- Completed criminal background check
- Completed application, statement of professional goals, résumé, two letters of recommendation (one from a supervisor from a current or recent position in healthcare and one from a professional nursing peer), and official copies of transcripts of all prior nursing and academic work
- Interview with graduate nursing faculty
- Undergraduate statistics course required
- Undergraduate research course recommended
- Undergraduate health assessment course (30 hours or greater required)
- Background check
No, the students taking another specialization in the Master of Science in Nursing program cannot transfer between specializations.
The faculty members who teach online at Sacred Heart University are of the same caliber as the faculty that teach our on-campus nursing courses. Our distinguished faculty members have years of clinical experience and in many cases have studied Nursing Education and perform scholarly research. Read about their backgrounds on the MSN Faculty page.
Our students are mainly adult RNs who are working full time and returning to school to get their master's degree in nursing with a specialty in Family Nurse Practitioner. Our MSN students seek a regional and nursing accredited program and the flexibility to take courses online at convenient times and finish the program at their own pace. Located throughout the Northeast region and the entire US, students’ geographic diversity help provide a rich learning experience thanks to the varying perspectives offered during discussions.
No. Online MSN coursework is completely asynchronous, you don’t have to worry about being online at a certain time of day. Our flexible online format allows students to access courses at times convenient to them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Online learning requires as much time and effort as a traditional campus course. In general, we suggest that you plan on spending between twelve to fifteen hours each week for on a three-credit course.
Each class session is 16 weeks long.
If you take one 16-week course each session, the FNP program takes three years to complete. But you may need to skip a session due to home, family, and job commitments.
We offer three start terms on our Academic Calendar each year. Contact our experienced Admissions team to determine which module or start term will integrate best with your schedule.
- Have experience with using the Internet to communicate and find information
- Know how to use word processing software (Microsoft Word)
- Know how to download files
- Be able to read and send e-mail, attach document files to e-mail messages, etc.
You will need a computer with an up-to-date operating system and a connection to the Internet.
Yes, Sacred Heart University offers nursing students the opportunity to travel internationally via Global Programs. For more information on upcoming trips and opportunities, please visit the Global Programs page.
Please consult the State Authorizations page for information on state approval and licensure or call us at (877) 791-7181.
Yes, students in the FNP program will have three campus requirements.
For information on visiting the Sacred Heart campus, please visit the Around The Area page.
Students may be required to travel significant distances to access clinical sites and achieve the necessary clinical hours.