Sacred Heart University welcomes students from around the world. On-campus and online, our students represent diverse cultures and viewpoints from over 17 countries, with alumni reaching more than 50 countries. We invite all students who share our commitment for passionate service and pursue integrity, courageous leadership and overall excellence.
Our online degree programs make it convenient for international students to earn a degree from a prestigious American university. Because coursework is completely asynchronous, you don’t have to worry about being online at inconvenient times every day.
In addition to submitting the standard application materials needed for the program you are interested in, students who completed degrees at institutions outside the United States are required to submit:
- A course-by-course evaluation (and a translation, if applicable) from an acceptable transcript evaluation services agency, such as World Education Services. Please contact your Admissions Adviser for specific information about acceptable transcript evaluation services.
- U.S.-issued Registered Nurse licensure, if applying for one of Sacred Heart’s online nursing programs
- International students may need an F-1 visa to complete the practicum hours part of the nursing program curriculum.
- Official and current GRE test scores (may be waived for applicants with a master’s degree or higher)
- TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores, if English is not your native language. Minimum TOEFL score of 550 (PBT), 213 (CBT), or 70 (iBT); minimum IELTS score of 6.
- If the student is unable to provide proof of English Language Proficiency, Sacred Heart University can administer an online English proficiency test for any incoming student.
Please note, international students on an F-1 student visa are not permitted to enroll in online programs.
Get more details about applying to Sacred Heart University as an international student: Call us toll-free at 877-791-7181 to speak with one of our Admissions Advisers, or request more information.
English as a Second Language (ESL) Online Program
Sacred Heart University’s English Language Institute is committed to provide excellent instruction in English as a Second Language to all non-native speakers to help them achieve their personal, academic and professional goals. The Institute offers a four-level English language non-credit, pre-academic program 100% online, available to students nationally and internationally. Placement testing, registration, payment, all coursework, and instruction are all completed online and classes are asynchronous, meaning you can access at any date/time.
The program level you are placed on will be based on initial placement testing and coursework can be completed within 12 months. Upon completion of all necessary courses, students will receive a Sacred Heart University Certificate of Completion and gain eligibility to apply for conditional acceptance into SHU’s programs. This program will also prepare students to take the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE exam.
For more information on Sacred Heart’s online ESL program and how to get started, please visit the website.