An Online Mental Health Counseling Program that Prepares You for Licensure and is Developed with CACREP Standards
Total Credits 60
Cost per Credit $800
- Earn your degree in as few as 2 years
- Complete your master’s degree in counseling online at your own pace.
- High job growth — the mental health counseling field’s expected to grow 22% and create more than 68,000 new positions by 20281
The online master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is committed to excellence and prepares you to become a leader that can make a difference in the global community. You’ll focus on prevention, resilience, and well-being, equipping you with the skills to recognize the dignity and worth of every human.
What Makes Us Unique?
Graduate Licensure Ready. The online master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is developed with the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) standards and offers a nationwide curriculum so you can confidently sit for licensure exams post-graduation. Each course is guided by an expert educator who brings years of diverse counseling experience to the online classroom.
Have More Questions? Find Answers Fast.
Visit our Prospective Student FAQ Experience to get the online MA Clinical Mental Health Counseling answers you need fast.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
A Curriculum Designed for Licensure
Developed with CACREP standards as a foundation, the online master’s in clinical mental health counseling from Sacred Heart University delivers courses in an online learning platform. Balance your education with your full-time responsibilities and complete your master’s degree in counseling online at your own pace.
In addition, the online master’s in clinical mental health counseling program utilizes a nationwide curriculum designed to prepare students to meet the educational requirements for licensure in many states. Each course is guided by an expert educator who brings years of diverse counseling experience to the online classroom.
Career Outlook: Improve the Lives of Others
Research conducted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the field of mental health counseling to grow 22% and create more than 68,000 new positions by 2028 (1). With the online master’s in clinical mental health counseling from Sacred Heart, you’ll build an academic foundation developed with CACREP standards as you gain advanced industry expertise and prepare for diverse roles in clinical counseling.
Upon completion of Sacred Heart University’s master’s of mental health counseling, you’ll be prepared to assist individuals who are experiencing significant life stress and presenting problems such as low self-esteem, job loss, depression, substance abuse, grief, anxiety, family violence, relationship issues, eating disorders, and other mental health related challenges.
With an online Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree, you can pursue your passion of helping others and make a positive impact in the global community. Designed for your professional achievement, Sacred Heart University’s online Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree delivers the expertise you need to succeed as a leader in your chosen career.Careers and Salaries
Curriculum: Designed to Meet the Highest Level of Accreditation Standards
Sacred Heart University’s online master’s in clinical mental health counseling program offers a nationwide curriculum designed to prepare students to meet the educational requirements for licensure in numerous states. Its convenient online learning platform allows students all over the country to pursue licensure and career advancement after graduation.Preview Courses
Program Outcomes: Enact the Spirit of Dignity and Worth
To deliver positive outcomes for students, Sacred Heart’s online master’s in clinical mental health counseling program is designed to:
- Train Clinical Mental Health Counselors (CMHCs) to be ethical and competent clinicians with a strong counselor identity in accordance with American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA) ethical standards and the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics, in order to prepare for careers as counseling professionals who advocate on behalf of the profession.
- Train CMHCs to cultivate knowledge and self-awareness of socially, culturally and spiritually appropriate skills and practices in professional counseling that promote social justice and advocacy efforts while minimizing barriers between counselors and clients.
- Train CMHCs in theories, etiology of human growth and development, relevant environmental factors and ethical strategies to promote optimum wellness for diverse clients across the lifespan.
- Train CMHCs to apply career development theories, decision-making models and occupational information to develop strategies for supporting and advocating for clients in relation to their unique career development within a global economy.
- Train CMHCs to understand and demonstrate essential and applicable counseling techniques and culturally relevant strategies as well as theories, models and skills for client consultation, treatment, intervention and prevention.
- Train CMHCs to implement knowledge of therapeutically appropriate strategies for effectively forming and facilitating group counseling in a variety of settings.
- Train CMHCs in ethical and appropriate intake, assessment, case conceptualization, diagnosis, treatment planning, documentation and clinical treatment to properly serve clients across multicultural perspectives.
- Train CMHCs to evaluate and incorporate ethically and culturally relevant research findings when selecting strategies for prevention, intervention, treatment and program evaluation.
- Train CMHCs to utilize community resources, referral sources and case management services in accordance with their role as clinical mental health counselors, including situations involving trauma, crisis or risk to client well-being.
- Prepare future CMHCs to provide wellness- and holistic-based services to clients who seek help with everyday life concerns as well as those who struggle with significant emotional, cognitive, developmental and behavioral challenges.
- Train CMHCs to cultivate and implement culturally relevant clinical skills and strategies for best practice through supervised practicum and internship experiences.
- Train CMHCs in the specific and added educational requirements necessary for licensure that may be outlined by their intended state of licensure.
To apply for the online master’s in clinical mental health counseling from Sacred Heart University, you’ll need the following in addition to your online application:
- Non-refundable application fee
- No standardized testing is required (GRE or MAT)
- Successful completion of a baccalaureate degree
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or better. Only applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 and higher will be considered for admission.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (undergraduate and graduate).
- Two (2) professional letters of recommendation (one from an academic source and one from an employer or volunteer supervisor).
- Completion of a state-specific acknowledgement form. This must be completed with a counseling program faculty member present. Note: This serves as a time for applicants to ask program-specific questions that can only be answered by the counselor education program faculty.
- Response to Personal Statement form questions
- Complete a video conference interview
- Be available for two (2) week-long, in-person residencies at SHU
Special notes about admission:
Currently, we do not accept applicants from the following states: Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin. Applicants may not live in or be seeking licensure in any of these states.Apply Now
This 60 credit hour program costs $800 per credit hour, for an estimated tuition of $48,000. Affordability and transparency are priorities at SHU. We want you to have everything you need in order to make a decision about investing in a high-quality education.Tuition and Fees
The online master’s in clinical mental health counseling program offers a selection of courses, each guided by a faculty of expert educators. Faculty members share diverse backgrounds in professional counseling and build classes on real-world experience to provide relevant and challenging lessons to students.
Accommodate your busy schedule and learn when and where it’s convenient for you. As an online student, you’ll work with the same accomplished faculty, receive one-on-one support and benefit from the same opportunities as our on-campus students.ONLINE AT SHU
At Sacred Heart University, we strive to keep our programs affordable and encourage you to explore all of your financial aid options, including federal aid, military benefits and available scholarships.FINANCIAL AID
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 877-791-7181.
Developed with CACREP standards as a foundation, the online master’s in clinical mental health counseling offers a curriculum that meets licensure requirements in most states, except New York, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois. We do not accept applicants that reside or intend to seek licensure in these states.
The online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program can be completed in two years.
You may take up to six years to complete the program.
- 100 practicum hours over one academic term
- 600 to 1000 hours of internship hours over two or three academic terms, depending on the requirements of the state where you intend to seek licensure.
Learn more about clinical hours on our courses page.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2020 April 10). Substance Abuse, Behavior Disorder, and Mental Health Counselors. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved April 10, 2020 from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/substance-abuse-behavioral-disorder-and-mental-health-counselors.htm.