Influence - Inspire - Innovate -
Improve Patient Outcomes and Transform Healthcare
Earn nursing's top credential and prepare yourself to lead with Sacred Heart's Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree. This practice-focused doctoral education program enables you to build upon your masters-level education and develops the expertise needed for the most advanced leadership, teaching, clinical and research roles in the nursing profession and healthcare delivery system. You will graduate ready to lead and manage collaborative efforts to improve healthcare and positively influence the nursing profession in roles requiring scientific excellence, innovation and deep practice experience.
When you study with Sacred Heart University, you study with a leader in advanced-practice education. Our programs currently have an enrollment of more than 700 graduate and doctoral students.
The online DNP program serves nurse practitioners, clinical nurse leaders, midwives, nurse anesthetists, nurse executives and educators as well as other masters-prepared nurses. It is ideal for academically talented nurses who prefer a doctorate with a connection to clinical practice and a focus on improving patient and population health outcomes as well as solving systems problems. Ideal for working professionals, this Post-Master's DNP program:
- Can be completed part-time in three years
- Engages students in clinically focused scholarship and research that can lead to practice changes that improve quality and safety while considering cost-effectiveness
- Includes a scholarly practice project that prepares the student to utilize research for the improvement of critical care delivery and patient outcomes
- Provides graduates advanced knowledge and skill in designing, implementing, managing and evaluating healthcare delivery systems
- Prepares graduates to lead the transformation of healthcare delivery at the highest clinical and executive ranks to improve patient outcomes
- Maximizes the number of potential career roles the doctoral nursing graduate may assume in academia, advanced clinical practice or executive healthcare leadership
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing has advocated for DNP education for nurses who practice at the most advanced level. The main aims of the DNP degree are to prepare you to:
- Assume complex leadership roles in clinical practice areas
- Lead research teams that focus on improving quality healthcare
- Develop strategies to translate research into practice regimens
- Expand your knowledge base to improve nursing practice and patient outcomes
- Evaluate evidence to determine and implement the best evidence for practice
- Be ready as an educator or an advanced practice nurse for today's ever-changing healthcare system
Innovative Learning: The Online DNP Experience
The online DNP program pairs flexible online coursework and collaborative discussion with intensive classroom experiences. You will engage in an on-campus orientation and an on-campus residency. You can also choose to participate in an optional residency in the final year.
SHU uses Blackboard as its electronic delivery and learning platform for the online portion of the coursework. Blackboard is a web-based system that provides:
- A user-friendly interface
- Simple access to course content
- Collaborative workspaces and online resource centers
- Availability 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Easy information interchange between students and instructors and among cohort members
Features of Sacred Heart University's Online DNP
- This program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
- Sacred Heart University is ranked among The Princeton Review's "Best 380 Colleges" and as a U.S News & World Report top university in the North for 2015.
- You will enjoy small class sizes and receive practical instruction from clinically active faculty who have earned their doctoral degrees and who have received state and national recognition for expertise in their specific fields.
- You will benefit from learning that includes 24/7 online study and weekend residencies designed specifically for working nursing professionals.
Learn more about Sacred Heart's online Doctor of Nursing Practice. Complete the form or call us at 877-791-7181 to speak to an admissions team member.