Below, you'll find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the RN to Bachelor to Master of Science in Nursing online program from Sacred Heart University.
- What are the admission requirements?
- Who are the instructors in the online RN to BSN to MSN program?
- What types of students take the online RN to BSN to MSN degree program?
- Do I need a bachelor's degree in Nursing to apply?
- Do I receive my BSN as part of this program?
- How much time does it take to complete courses in the online RN to BSN to MSN program?
- How long is each class session?
- When can I start the program? Does it have to be in the fall?
- What are the technical requirements for online learning?
- How do I get started?
- Why do I have to carry malpractice insurance to take classes?
- Are there opportunities to study or conduct clinicals abroad?
- Are there any state restrictions?
What are the admission requirements?
To be considered for admission, candidates must have the following:
- a current, unencumbered RN license
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing
- a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- statement of professional goals
- two letters of recommendation
- Proof of malpractice insurance
Who are the instructors in the online RN to BSN to MSN program?
The same faculty members who teach on-campus at Sacred Heart University teach our online courses. Our distinguished faculty members have years of clinical experience and in many cases have studied Nursing Education and perform scholarly research. Read about their backgrounds on the RN to BSN to MSN Faculty page.
What types of students take the online RN to BSN to MSN degree program?
Our students are mainly adult RNs who work full-time and are returning to school to obtain their bachelor's and master’s degrees in nursing in one time and through a cost-saving program. Our RN-MSN-BSN students are seeking a degree from an accredited nursing school regionally recognized for nursing excellence and desire a specialty in either clinical leadership, nursing management and executive leadership, or nursing education.
Do I need a bachelor's degree in Nursing to apply?
No. The program is open to RNs with a Diploma or an Associate's degree in nursing. The RN to BSN to MSN program rolls your bachelor's and master's degree in nursing into one program.
Do I receive my BSN as part of this program?
Yes. At the successful completion of the BSN courses, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree will be conferred.
How much time does it take to complete courses in the online RN to BSN to MSN program?
Online nursing programs require as much time and effort as a traditional campus course. In general, we suggest that you plan on spending between twelve to fifteen hours each week for on a three-credit course.
How long is each class session?
Each class session is eight weeks long.
When can I start the program? Does it have to be in the fall?
No. As you can see on our Academic Calendar, we offer several start dates, or modules, per year. Our admissions team is experienced in working with students to easily gauge how classes will integrate with your schedule.
What are the technical requirements for online learning?
You must know how to:
- Use the Internet to communicate and find information
- Use word processing software (Microsoft Word)
- Download files
- Read and send e-mail, attach document files to e-mail messages, etc.
You will need a computer with an up-to-date operating system and a connection to the Internet.
How do I get started?
Why do I have to carry malpractice insurance to take classes?
All medical professionals must carry malpractice insurance. In the case of a lawsuit, a nurse can be held responsible alongside his or her employer. In addition, an employer’s coverage may not be sufficient to cover damages and settlements. It is in your best interest to carry sufficient insurance for yourself. An admissions representative can help you identify appropriate insurance providers.
Are there opportunities to study or conduct clinicals abroad?
Yes, Sacred Heart University offers nursing students the opportunity to travel internationally via Global Programs. For more information on upcoming trips and opportunities, please visit the Global Programs page.
Are there any state restrictions?
Sacred Heart University is able to offer these online programs to residents of most states in the U.S., but is still awaiting full approval from a few select states. Please consult the State Authorizations page to determine if you are located in a state in which Sacred Heart University can confer an online degree or call us at (877) 791-7181 for any questions.