Online Master of Arts in School Counseling
A School Counseling Degree that Prepares You for Your Career
Join us on Tuesday, May 30, 7 – 8 PM E.T. for our Virtual Open House. Program Director Dr. Sandi Logan-McKibben will discuss how the MA in School Counseling program can strengthen your career goals. Register Today!
GRE/GMAT not required
- Learn from expert faculty
- Complete your master’s degree in school counseling online at your own pace
- In-Demand Career Opportunities — The school counseling field is expected to grow 10% and create more than 32,000 new positions by 20311
When you complete the online MA in School Counseling degree, you’ll have the necessary knowledge and training to pursue licensure or certification in your state, plus the skills to begin practicing as a school counselor capable of improving academic development, college and career readiness and social-emotional learning in your school.Admissions Estimator
What Makes Us Unique?
Applied Learning. The online MA in School Counseling offers a curriculum focused on skills development and licensure/certification preparedness. You’ll learn from expert faculty in each course and gain hands-on experience through a practicum and internship.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
- Duration 2.5 Years
- Cost per Credit $800
- Credit Hours 60-63
- Learn online in an interactive, virtual classroom
- Significant practical experience in practicum and internship
- Small class sizes
Shine a Guiding Light as a School Counselor
From improving academic and social development to providing support for college and career decision-making, school counseling plays a major role in the lives of children at every age. Discover how you can make a positive impact in this fast-growing field with the online MA in School Counseling degree from Sacred Heart University.
This online master’s degree delivers the academic requirements to pursue licensure or certification in your state and begin practicing in a field you’re passionate about. You’ll learn from top-skilled educators with real-world counseling experience through an interactive, virtual classroom designed to give you the flexibility you need for success.
A Curriculum Built for Your Preparedness
- Pursue licensure or certification
- Flexible online format
The online Master’s in School Counseling degree program consists of 60-63 total credit hours and can be completed in just two and a half years. The curriculum also requires you to complete a practicum and an internship to ensure you build essential, hands-on experience and graduate ready to pursue licensure or certification in your state.Preview Courses
Career Outlook: In-Demand Opportunities for School Counselors
The need for licensed and certified school counselors is on the rise. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the field of school counseling is expected to grow by 10% through 2031. This expansion will create 32,000 new career opportunities for school counseling professionals.1
With Sacred Heart University’s online Master’s in School Counseling degree, you’ll complete the academic requirements to pursue licensure or certification in your state. Graduate in just two and a half years and transform your passion into a rewarding school counseling career.
What You’ll Learn
Like all of SHU’s academic programs, the online MA in School Counseling degree is designed to enhance your professional potential and help you qualify for the job you want. You’ll graduate with the skills to support PK-12 students across the domains of academic development, college and career readiness and social-emotional learning.
- Practice in accordance with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) ethical standards while meeting state-level expectations
- Be self-aware in regards to social and cultural skills, clinical counseling skills and professional dispositions necessary in school counseling
- Promote social justice and minimize barriers for PK-12 students
- Understand and demonstrate culturally relevant strategies and theory to support prevention, intervention, consultant and collaboration with and on behalf of PK-12 students
- Implement knowledge of appropriate strategies for effectively forming and facilitating group counseling and group work in the educational setting
- Promote optimum emotional wellness and career preparedness for all students
To apply for the online MA in School Counseling degree program from Sacred Heart University, you’ll need the following in addition to your online application:
- Non-refundable application fee
- Successful completion of a baccalaureate degree
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (undergraduate and graduate)
- Two (2) professional letters of recommendation that can attest to your suitability for the school counseling degree. One must be from an academic source and one must be from an employer or volunteer supervisor
- Completion of a state-specific acknowledgment form while in a conversation with the School Counseling Program Director
- Respond to Personal Statement form questions
- Be available for a video conference interview
- Be available for two (2) week-long, in-person residencies at SHU
The online MA in School Counseling degree is a 60-63 credit-hour program and costs $800 per credit hour. Affordability and transparency are priorities at SHU. We want you to have everything you need in order to make a decision about investing in a high-quality education.Tuition and Fees
Dr. Sandi Logan-McKibben is a well-respected and award winning expert in the field of school counseling. For more than a decade, she has actively contributed to teaching and supervising the next generation of school counselors. Moreover, she has held national and state leadership positions (Connecticut, Florida, & California) to represent and advocate for the school counselors and has made more than 100 conference/professional presentations. Notably, she is the co-author of the first-of-its-kind book, The Ultimate School Counselor’s Guide to Assessment & Data Collection.
Accommodate your busy schedule and learn when and where it’s convenient for you. As an online student, you’ll work with the same accomplished faculty, receive one-on-one support and benefit from the same opportunities as our on-campus students.ONLINE AT SHU
At Sacred Heart University, we strive to keep our programs affordable and encourage you to explore all of your financial aid options, including federal aid, military benefits and available scholarships.FINANCIAL AID
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 877-791-7181.
Yes, the online MA in School Counseling degree has 2 in-person residencies that are 1 week long each, at the Sacred Heart University campus. You can learn more about these components on our courses page.
Developed with CACREP standards as a foundation, the online Master’s in School Counseling offers a curriculum that meets certification/licensure requirements in many states. You are encouraged to review the Department of Education’s certification office in your state of residence for latest information and requirements. Questions may be directed to SchoolCounseling@sacredheart.edu.
The online Master of Arts in School Counseling program can typically be completed in 2.5 years.
You may take up to six years to complete the program.
100 practicum hours over one academic term
600 to 1000 hours of internship hours over two academic terms, depending on the requirements of the state where you intend to seek certification/licensure.
Learn more about clinical hours on our courses page.
- School and Career Counselors and Advisors. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved Feb. 23, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm.