Become Qualified for the Counseling Career You Want
Prep for licensure or certification
10% career growth rate1
Follow what you’re passionate about and discover a career that will allow you to make a difference. With the online MA in School Counseling degree, you’ll earn the necessary knowledge and field experience to pursue licensure or certification in your state.
- Respond to the growing need of school counselors
- Gain 21st-century knowledge and skills
- Learn from experienced school counseling experts
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
As a school counselor, you would help improve academic development and social-emotional learning for PK-12 students. You would also work with students in individual and group settings to prepare them for college and their chosen career field after graduation.1
As a career counselor, you would help college students prepare for professional success by providing them with relevant resources and ensuring they complete all education requirements to qualify for their chosen career.2
Additional careers for MA in School Counseling graduates:
- College Counselor
- Social-Emotional Learning Specialist/Coordinator
Increase Your Earning Potential
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a growing demand for school counselors and increasingly high salaries for those who become licensed and certified in the field. With the field expanding at a rate of 10%, more than 32,000 new school counseling jobs are expected to be created by 2031.1 Sacred Heart’s online Master’s in School Counseling degree delivers the credential to pursue licensure or certification in your state, plus the competitive edge to increase your salary potential.
- $60,510 median annual salary for school counselors1
- $50,748 median annual salary for career counselors2
- 32,000 new careers for school counselors by 20311
What You’ll Learn
Like all of SHU’s academic programs, the online MA in School Counseling degree is designed to enhance your professional potential and help you qualify for the counseling job you want. You’ll graduate with the skills to support PK-12 students across the domains of academic development, college and career readiness and social-emotional learning.
Skills You’ll Gain
- Professional communication with colleagues and PK-12 students
- Organizational leadership for education settings
- Self-awareness in regards to social and cultural competency and professional counseling practices
- Counseling techniques and culturally relevant strategies to support prevention, intervention, consultant and collaboration with and on behalf of PK-12 students
- Effective facilitation of group counseling and group work in the educational setting
Guidance Beyond Graduation
More than 98 percent of Sacred Heart alumni are employed full-time or enrolled in graduate school within a year of graduation.
Our Center for Career & Professional Development provides support to help you find your next opportunity and continue to grow outside of class.
- School and Career Counselors and Advisors. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved Mar. 1, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm.
- Average College Career Counselor Salary. Payscale. Retrieved Mar. 1, 2022, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=College_Career_Counselor/Salary.