A CSWE-accredited online MSW that prepares you to make a lasting impact.
- Advanced standing option available — earn your online MSW in 20 months
- Growing field — 11% project job growth by 20281
- Pick from 2 specializations
- Transfer up to 15 credit hours to save time and money
Defend the dignity and well-being of others. Sacred Heart’s CSWE-accredited online Master of Social Work prepares you to support and assist vulnerable populations. Gain a deeper understanding of modern social work theory and practice models, all from a perspective of truth and justice.
What Makes Us Unique?
Field Experience Model. Sacred Heart’s unique Field Experience model is designed for students to practice their social work skills in a hands-on work environment. Field Experience Liaisons work directly with you one year before you even go into the field, with a level of support unmatched by other schools.
Focused Curriculum. The SHU MSW curriculum is created with today’s community and global issues in mind. Students will study topics spanning trauma, anti-racism and LGBTQ+ subject areas.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Regular Standing MSW
FORMAT 100% Online
PROGRAM LENGTH 3.5 years
COST PER CREDIT $825
Advanced Standing MSW
FORMAT 100% Online
PROGRAM LENGTH 20 months
COST PER CREDIT $825
The Gold Standard of MSW Degree Programs
The Sacred Heart MSW is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) which ensures the highest quality program available. Select from two specializations to gain the knowledge needed for licensure preparation with our convenient MSW online. Develop unique skills for your career with a choice of Direct Community Practice in which you can explore the counseling realm, social welfare, human behavior and societal issues, or the Direct Clinical Practice specialization, providing treatment options for clients after completing a research study and clinical practicum.
Our Advanced Standing option takes you straight into coursework aligned to your level. Graduate ready to achieve your goal of making a difference in the lives of others.
Curriculum: Advanced Capabilities Through Active Learning
Our master’s of social work program is built on the tenets of social work, the Catholic intellectual tradition and a belief in experiential learning. Students with a bachelor’s degree in social work could be eligible for Advanced Standing status, with an accelerated version of the program to graduate in 20 months. Graduate with an understanding of advanced topics, such as:
- Social welfare and the impact of socioeconomic and political trends
- Human identity formation and how it’s affected by diversity and our environment
- Addressing inequities in social services due to institutionalized racism and sexism
- Social policy is formulation, implementation and analysis
- Coursework experience in substance abuse and addiction, aging and gerontology, grief, and working with children and families
Career Outlook: The Revolution is Only Expanding
Born only a century ago from the fight against poverty, social work has come to play a vital role in improving quality of life for people from all backgrounds. The profession has waged a “revolution of mercy,” based on justice and dignity for all.
That revolution is only expanding. The profession as a whole is projected to grow 11 percent over the next 10 years in areas helping children and families — and growth in some advanced practice areas, like a criminal justice social worker or forensic social worker, is expected to be even higher.1 Healthcare social workers, for instance, are expected to see a 17 percent growth in opportunities over the next decade.2 Wherever you’re career takes you, you’ll be prepared to meet your clients’ needs.CAREERS AND SALARIES
Program Outcomes: Expanded Impact in Service to Others
You’ll complete this program ready to:
- Sit for the Licensed Master of Social Work exam in your state*
- Integrate empirical knowledge, theoretical concepts and analytical skills
- Understand the assessment and diagnosis of individuals within the context of their environment
- Assess client-service systems at the micro, mezzo and macro levels
- Work with individuals, families, groups, communities and organizations
*Students are responsible for understanding the licensing requirements in the state in which they plan to practice.
Specialize Your Degree in Clinical or Community Practice
Focus your education with one of two MSW online specializations, featuring practicum-related coursework relevant to either a clinical or a community practice setting. Specific courses cover a wide range of current topics including LGBTQ+, anti-racism and trauma.
Direct Clinical Practice
Learn to assess and treat mental, emotional and behavioral disorders, chemical dependency, youth counseling, chronic illnesses and domestic conflicts.
Direct Community Practice
Explore social welfare, human behavior, social justice and research methods, and gain an understanding of how policy impacts social work.
To apply for the Master of Social Work from Sacred Heart University, you’ll need:
- Completed application
- 3.0 minimum undergraduate GPA (students with 2.7 and up may be considered)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (BA, BS, BSW), CSWE-accreditation required for Advanced Standing
- Personal statement outlining why you are pursuing the MSW at SHU
- Two letters of recommendation, no older than 2 years
- Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions
Advanced standing applicants must meet additional requirements, which can be found on the admissions page.FULL REQUIREMENTS
The standard 60-credit-hour program costs $825 per credit hour. The Advanced Standing program is 30 credit hours and costs $825 per credit hour. Affordability and transparency are priorities at SHU. We want you to have everything you need in order to make a decision about investing in a high-quality education.TUITION AND FEES
Faculty: Leaders in the Field
Our award-winning faculty come from diverse backgrounds, having worked in areas such as social and economic justice, social policy, child welfare, trauma, grief, parenting, addiction, adoption, homelessness and hospice care.
Read more about Sacred Heart University’s online MSW program in CT Faculty:
Accommodate your busy schedule and learn when and where it’s convenient for you. As an online student, you’ll work with the same accomplished faculty, receive one-on-one support and benefit from the same opportunities as our on-campus students.ONLINE AT SHU
At Sacred Heart University, we strive to keep our programs affordable and encourage you to explore all of your financial aid options, including federal aid, military benefits and available scholarships.FINANCIAL AID
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 877-791-7181.
The MSW does prepare you for licensure. License requirements vary by state. Though students are responsible for verifying license requirements in the state in which they plan to practice, our friendly admissions team is ready to answer questions and guide you through this process. Reach out to them at 877-791-7181 or email@example.com.
If you have earned a bachelor’s degree in social work with a 3.0 GPA within the past six years, you’re eligible for our Advanced Standing program and can graduate within 20 months. If your undergraduate degree is focused in a field other than social work, you can complete the online MSW at Sacred Heart within 3.5 years.
You may take up to six years to complete the program.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Social Workers. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved October 1, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Social Workers: Job Outlook. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved October 31, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm#tab-6.