Specialized Prep to Sit for CNL Exam
Best Online Graduate Nursing Program1
Evidence-Based Practice Coursework
Flexible Online Learning
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Elevate Your Career as a Nurse Leader
Lead a team with SHU’s MSN –Clinical Nurse Leader specialization. You’ve mastered patient care and working as part of a team. Advance as a leader who can inform a team about evidence-based practices, tools and processes to improve patient outcomes. Reshape policy, reduce costs and identify solutions to problems within your healthcare system after a deep immersion of quality care research within the curriculum.
This unique MSN without BSN requirement degree offers four core and eight specialized courses. Complete your degree in two to six years, at your own pace, and then be prepared to sit for the American Association of Colleges of Nursing CNL Certification Exam.
Discover Your Potential with the Admissions EstimatorAdmissions Estimator
CNL Career Outlook: Roles Across Health Care Settings
When you pursue a CNL program online, you’ll prepare to build a career ensuring patients receive safe, high-quality care with the newest health care technologies and techniques.
In 2016, 62 percent of CNLs surveyed were employed at Acute Care Inpatient Facilities. Other top employers included Outpatient Clinics or Surgery Centers (11.5 percent), Schools of Nursing (8.4 percent) and Long-Term Care Facilities (3.8 percent).2
Upon completing your CNL program and certification, you can qualify for a variety of roles in addition to Clinical Nurse Leader, including Nurse Manager, Nurse Administrator, Nurse Educator, Risk Management, Quality Care Coordinator, Patient Navigator, CNL Academic Faculty, Community Health, and other roles utilized in the facility in which you choose to work.
Clinical Nurse Leader:
$ 94,079 /YEAR
As a Clinical Nurse Leader, your responsibilities would include leading collaborative patient care, as well as mentoring other nurses, educating patients and their families, and analyzing data and assessing patient risks and outcomes. This role and estimated CNL salary requires the CNL certification from the AACN.4
Nurse Case Manager:
As a Nurse Case Manager, you’d lead and coordinate all aspects of a patient’s care, from admission and discharge to insurance reimbursement. You’d be your patient’s advocate, ensuring they receive proper procedures and care that meets their physical and emotional needs.3Careers and Salaries
Curriculum: Immerse Yourself in Clinical Leadership
The clinical nurse leader program’s online curriculum offers in-depth exploration of nursing leadership. Through nine courses, comprising 27 specialization credit hours, you will gain skills in pharmacology, advanced pathophysiology, communications, information management and more.
The MSN CNL specialization includes 348 hours of role immersion to ensure you meet the requirements to sit for the AACN’s CNL Certification Exam.
Course Spotlight: NU 550 – Family and Community Context for Health Care
Gain a better understanding of family, primary care and community theories in the context of advanced practice nursing and clinical leadership roles.Preview Courses
Course Spotlight: NU 575 – Health Care Information Systems
Manage patient data to improve care delivery, quality and safety in health care systems. This course combines knowledge in nursing, computer, information and cognitive sciences.
Student Learning Outcomes for the MSN: CNL Program
- Background for Practice from Sciences and Humanities
- Organizational and Systems Leadership
- Quality Improvement and Safety
- Translating and Integrating Scholarship into Practice
- Informatics and Healthcare Technologies
- Health Policy and Advocacy
- Interprofessional Collaboration for Improving Patient and Population Health Outcomes
- Clinical Prevention and Population Health for Improving Health
- Master’s-Level Nursing Practice
More Options for Your MSN
Complement your clinical experience with teaching skills and learn to design curricula, evaluate your students and step into the role of instructor.
Nursing Management & Executive Leadership
Discover how to manage a budget, create and implement administrative processes, make certain your procedures meet professional and ethical standards, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 877-791-7181.
You can take as long as six years to complete the program.
- Current, unencumbered RN license
- Bachelor’s degree in any field with a 3.0 GPA
- Official transcripts of all prior nursing and academic work
- Statement of professional goals: Why do you wish to pursue the MSN at SHU? Describe a significant accomplishment in your career or as a student that has prepared you to pursue graduate studies in nursing. In addition, please describe 2–3 professional goals.
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one from a direct supervisor): Must be from an employer, professor or a member of the medical/nursing profession and be written within the last two years.
- Proof of malpractice insurance ($1,000,000/$3,000,000)
- Prerequisite courses in statistics, health assessment and research
- The Nursing Education specialization requires 180 clinical hours
- The Nursing Management and Executive Leadership specialization requires 120 clinical hours
- The Clinical Nurse Leader specialization requires 348 clinical hours
- Best Online Master’s in Nursing Programs. U.S. News and World Report. Retrieved July 23, 2021, from https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/sacred-heart-university-ONUR0289/nursing.
- Commission on Nurse Certification (2016). Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) 2016 Job Analysis (Rep.). Retrieved October 7, 2019, from https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/CNL/2016-CNL-Job-Analysis-Final-Report.pdf.
- Payscale (2019 September 18). Average Nurse Case Manager Salary. Retrieved October 7, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Nurse_Case_Manager/Salary.
- Salary.com (2022 June). Average Clinical Nurse Leader Salary. Retrieved June 24, 2022, from https://www.salary.com/research/salary/recruiting/clinical-nurse-leader-salary.