Three specialties. Infinite opportunities.
Increase the impact and reach of your nursing expertise with the online, CCNE-accredited Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) from Sacred Heart University.
- $113,930 median annual salary for Advanced Practice Nurses in 20182
- 28% growth (more than 5x the national average) for Advanced Practice Nursing positions between 2018 and 20282
- Overall, 371,500 new jobs projected for Registered Nurses between 2018 and 20283
As more hospitals pursue Magnet Recognition® — the nation’s gold standard for nursing excellence — they need better-educated nurses.
You’ll meet this demand with your MSN and advance to a higher salary, longer-lasting career and more opportunities to shape the future of health care.
In 2017, SHU grads had a bright nursing occupational outlook, employed by Bridgeport Hospital, Good Samaritan Hospital, Gaylord Specialty Healthcare, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and more.
Director of Patient Care Services:
As a Director of Patient Care Services, you’d ensure patients across your hospital’s departments receive the highest-quality care. You’d work with department leaders, ensure operations run smoothly, and speak with patients and their families about health care needs and care plans.4
Prepare for this position with the Nursing Management and Executive Leadership specialization.
Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL):
As a Clinical Nurse Leader, your responsibilities would include leading collaborative patient care, as well as mentoring other nurses, educating patients and their families, and analyzing data and assessing patient risks and outcomes. This role requires the CNL certification from the AACN.5
Prepare for this position with the Clinical Nurse Leader specialization.
As a Nurse Educator, you’d work within a hospital or other health services organization to train nurses or other health care practitioners. You would create educational curricula and resources, determine educational gaps and needs, lecture large groups and more.6
Prepare for this position with the Nursing Education specialization.
As a Clinical Director, you’d oversee your organization’s clinical departments. Your responsibilities might include hiring and evaluating new employees, creating and monitoring budgets, and reviewing programs to ensure they meet patient needs.7
Prepare for this position with the Clinical Nurse Leader specialization or the Nursing Management and Executive Leadership specialization.
Additional roles for MSN graduates:
- Nurse anesthetist
- Clinical research nurse
- Relief charge nurse
- Practice administrator RN
- Nutrition services manager
- Mental health program manager
- Nursing informatics
- Director of nursing
- Clinical director
- Program manager
- Nurse manager
- Health and social services manager
Request More Information
Fill out the form below and a skilled and knowledgeable Admissions Representative will get in touch to answer your questions and help with the application process.
A Master of Science in Nursing can unlock the door to many lucrative and rewarding career opportunities. Use the visualization below to explore the nursing career outlook on both a national and local level.
Find Your Nursing Specialty
Set yourself apart from other nurses with an MSN specialization. Whether you want to advance your bedside skills, educate the next generation or become a leader of other nurses, we have a specialization that suits you.
You may also be interested in our Family Nurse Practitioner program, which prepares you to provide primary care to all ages.
Guidance Beyond Graduation
More than 98 percent of Sacred Heart alumni are employed full-time or enrolled in graduate school within a year of graduation.
Our Center for Career & Professional Development provides support to help you find your next opportunity and continue to grow outside of class.
Tap into our online recruiting system exclusively for Sacred Heart students, featuring job opportunities from 10,000+ employers.
Work one-on-one with a Sacred Heart career counselor to define your professional goals, practice for upcoming job interviews and more.
Meet potential employers and connect with a network of 35,000+ Sacred Heart alumni in person and on LinkedIn.
Get your résumé, cover letter and LinkedIn profile critiqued by peers and career-development experts to stand out from your competition.
- Nurse Journal (n.d.). The 20 Best Nursing Career Specialties. Retrieved October 3, 2019, from https://nursejournal.org/community/20-best-nursing-career-specialties-for-the-future/.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives, and Nurse Practitioners. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved October 3, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nurse-anesthetists-nurse-midwives-and-nurse-practitioners.htm.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Registered Nurses. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved October 3, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/registered-nurses.htm.
- Payscale (2019 August 24). Average Director of Patient Care Services Salary. Retrieved October 3, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Director_of_Patient_Care_Services/Salary.
- Payscale (2019 September 13). Average Clinical Nurse Leader Salary. Retrieved October 3, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Nurse_Leader/Salary.
- Payscale (2019 September 18). Average Nurse Educator Salary. Retrieved October 3, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Nurse_Educator/Salary.
- Payscale (2019 September 17). Average Clinical Director Salary. Retrieved October 3, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Director/Salary.