Below, you'll find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the RN to BSN online degree program from Sacred Heart University.
- What are the admission requirements?
- Who are the instructors in the online RN to BSN degree program?
- What types of students take the online RN to BSN degree program?
- Do I have to take classes at a certain time?
- When can I start the program? Does it have to be in the fall?
- How much time does it take to complete courses in the online RN-BSN degree program?
- How long is each class session?
- How long will it take to complete my BSN degree?
- How computer savvy do I need to be and what equipment do I need?
- Are there opportunities to study or conduct clinicals abroad?
- How do I get started?
What are the admission requirements?
To be considered for admission, candidates must have the following:
- a current, unencumbered RN license
- Associates's Degree in Nursing (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing
- a GPA of 2.5 or above
- statement of professional goals
- two letters of recommendation
Who are the instructors in the online RN to BSN degree program?
The faculty members who teach on-campus at Sacred Heart University are of the same caliber as the faculty that teach our online courses. Our distinguished faculty members have years of clinical experience and in many cases have studied Nursing Education and perform scholarly research. Read about their backgrounds on the RN to BSN Faculty page.
What types of students take the online RN to BSN degree program?
Our students are mainly full-time, working adult RNs who are returning to school to get their bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited nursing program that has been regionally and nationally recognized for excellence. Our BSN students are seeking career opportunities, often with a values-based curriculum. Students are located throughout the US; the geographic diversity among students can help provide a rich learning experience thanks to the varying perspectives offered during discussions.
Do I have to take classes at a certain time?
No. Because coursework is completely asynchronous, you don’t have to worry about being online at inconvenient times every day. Our flexible online format allows students to access courses 24/7.
When can I start the program? Does it have to be in the fall?
No, our Academic Calendar offers six modules, or start dates, throughout the year, and our admissions team is experienced in helping students gauge how classes will integrate with their schedules, so you’re certain to find a start date that meets your needs.
How much time does it take to complete courses in the online RN-BSN degree program?
Online nursing programs require as much time and effort as a traditional campus RN to BSN course. In general, we suggest that you plan on spending between twelve to fifteen hours each week per course. Depending on your background and familiarity with the subject matter, you might be required to invest more time.
How long is each class session?
Each class session is eight weeks long.
How long will it take to complete my BSN degree?
The answer is dependent on whether you need to complete pre-requisite courses, and whether you have qualifying transfer credits. With maximum credit transfers, the program may take about 1.5 years to complete, or about 3 years taking one class at a time. The admissions adviser can help provide a better picture of your curriculum needs. Keep in mind you have the flexibility to take terms off due to home, family, and job commitments.
How computer savvy do I need to be and what equipment do I need?
You must know how to:
- Have experience with using the Internet to communicate and find information
- Use word processing software (Microsoft Word)
- Download files
- Read and send e-mail, attach document files to e-mail messages, etc.
You will need a computer with an up-to-date operating system and a connection to the Internet.
Are there opportunities to study or conduct clinicals abroad?
Yes, Sacred Heart University offers nursing students the opportunity to travel internationally via Global Programs. For more information on upcoming trips and opportunities, please visit the Global Programs page.
How do I get started?
You can apply online. Then, review the RN-BSN admissions checklist to ensure you have all the necessary documentation to complete your admissions file. If you have questions, click here or call 877-791-7181 to speak to an Admissions team member.