Influence - Inspire - Innovate -
Improve Patient Outcomes and Transform Healthcare
Earn nursing's highest credential and prepare yourself to lead with Sacred Heart University's online Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program. This practice-focused doctoral program enables you to build upon your master's-level education and develop the expertise needed for the most advanced leadership and clinical roles in the nursing profession and healthcare delivery system. You will graduate ready to lead and manage collaborative efforts to improve healthcare and positively influence the nursing profession in roles requiring scientific excellence, innovation, and deep practical experience.
When you study with Sacred Heart University, you study with a leader in advanced-practice education. Our programs currently have an enrollment of more than 700 graduate and doctoral students.
The online Post-Master's DNP program serves nurse practitioners, clinical nurse leaders, midwives, nurse anesthetists, nurse executives, and other master's-prepared nurses. It is ideal for academically talented nurses who prefer a doctorate with a connection to clinical practice and a focus on improving patient and population health outcomes as well as solving systems problems. Ideal for working professionals, this Post-Master's DNP program:
- Options for part-time and full-time plans of study available
- Engages students in clinically focused scholarship and inquiry that can lead to practice changes that improve quality and safety while considering cost-effectiveness
- Includes a scholarly practice project that prepares the student to utilize research for the improvement of critical care delivery and patient outcomes
- Provides graduates with advanced knowledge and skill in designing, implementing, managing and evaluating healthcare delivery systems
- Prepares graduates to lead the transformation of healthcare delivery at the highest clinical and executive ranks to improve patient outcomes
- Maximizes the number of potential career roles the doctoral nursing graduate may assume in advanced clinical practice or executive healthcare leadership
Students may be required to travel significant distances to access clinical sites for practice hours and scholarly project opportunities.
Exceptional Online Nursing Programs
Sacred Heart is ranked a best institution for both Online Programs and Online Graduate Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) has advocated for DNP education for nurses who practice at the most advanced level. The focus of the DNP degree is to prepare you to:
- Assume complex leadership roles in clinical practice areas
- Lead teams that focus on improving healthcare quality
- Develop strategies to translate research into practice regimens
- Expand your knowledge base to improve nursing practice and patient outcomes
- Evaluate evidence to determine and implement the best evidence for practice
- Be ready as an advanced practice nurse for today's ever-changing healthcare system
Innovative Learning: The Online Post-Master's DNP Experience
The online Post-Master's DNP program pairs online coursework with collaborative discussion. You will participate in an on-campus orientation and at least one other on-site residency. You can also choose an optional third residency during your program of studies.
SHU uses Blackboard as its electronic delivery and learning platform for the online portion of the coursework. Blackboard is a web-based system that provides:
- A user-friendly interface
- Simple access to course content
- Collaborative workspaces and online resource centers
- Availability 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Easy information interchange between students and instructors and among cohort members
Features of Sacred Heart University's Online Post-Master's DNP
- The Baccalaureate Degree program in Nursing, the Master's Degree program in Nursing, and the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Sacred Heart University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791. http://www.ccneaccreditation.org
- Sacred Heart University is ranked among The Princeton Review's "Best 380 Colleges" and as a U.S. News & World Report top university in the North for 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- You will enjoy small class sizes and receive practical instruction from clinically active faculty who have earned their doctoral degrees and received state and national recognition for expertise in their specific fields.
- You will benefit from learning that includes 24/7 online study designed specifically for working nursing professionals.
Sacred Heart University is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), a regional accrediting body for colleges and universities in New England.
Learn more about Sacred Heart's online Post-Master's DNP program. Complete the form or call us at 877-791-7181 to speak to an admissions team member.