Realize your future with an MSN.
Advanced RN credentials lead to an abundance of job advancement opportunities. Our online MSN program with three specializations prepares you with further skills that can position you for many types of leadership roles.
Employment for RNs is expected to grow 19 percent from 2012 to 2022, faster than the average for all occupations. The average salary for an MSN nurse is $83,0001, which is $20,000 more than the average salary for RN’s with a BSN degree.
The top five industries employing nurses in May 2012 were2:
- Hospitals; state, local, and private
- Home health care services
- Nursing and residential care facilities
- Doctors’ offices
Take Your Knowledge to New Heights
The greatest areas of nursing employment growth are projected to be home health care and long-term rehabilitation and care facilities, many of which will require RNs with high-level expertise to handle complex tasks and planning.
The health care industry's increasing focus on the need for quality, cost-effective care among vulnerable and underserved populations will make the advanced clinical, administrative and teaching skills offered within the three specializations of great value and relevance in the marketplace. In addition, the Department of Veterans Affairs is actively working to hire more Clinical Nurse Leader-prepared nurses at its hospitals.
A lack of qualified faculty and a forecasted wave of retirements are impacting nursing schools already. Nurse educators are in demand to teach advanced skills to the next generation of nurses.
Other possible positions and US average annual salary examples3 for graduates of Sacred Heart's online MSN program include:
- Director of Patient Care Services - $91,000 annually
- Nurse Manager - $76,000 annually
- Clinical Nurse Specialist - $81,000 annually
- Health and Social Service Manager - $52,000
- Program Manager - $76,000 annually
- Clinical Director - $70,000 annually
- Director of Nursing - $82,000 annually
- Nursing Informatics - $67,000 annually
- Mental Health Program Manager - $53,000 annually
- Nutrition Services Manager - $51,000 annually
- Practice Administrator RN - $70,000 annually
- Relief Charge Nurse - $64,500 annually
- Clinical Research Nurse - $65,500 annually
Learn more about career possibilities with an online MSN from Sacred Heart University. Click here or call 877-791-7181 to speak with an admissions adviser.
1The Registered Nurse Population: Findings from the 2008 National Sample Survey of Registered Nurses,” U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, September 2010.
2Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15Edition, Registered Nurses, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/health care/registered-nurses.htm#tab-5, accessed Sept. 22, 2014.