The range of career choices for community psychology experts is broad, offering a lot of flexibility, choice, and new challenges now and throughout your professional life. From non-profit to social services, the applications of community psychology programs are diverse. Within social service and government agencies, you can look forward to positions of administration, or being a program analyst/developer, or senior researcher/analyst. Read below for just a few ideas of where community psychologists can apply their knowledge and skill set.
Community Health Workers
Promote healthy behaviors among individuals and families. This subfield is expected to see growth of 22 percent from 2012 to 2022. A community psychology salary may be around $59,000.
Community Health Worker responsibilities include:
- Conduct outreach and educational programs on disease prevention and management.
- Provide information about resources for health care and education.
- Collect information about and advocate for health-related needs in the community.
- Provide services such as first aid or blood pressure checks.
Mental Health Specialists
Work with individuals and groups on their mental and emotional well-being under the supervision of a licensed mental health counselor. Mental health counselors have a projected job growth from 2012 to 2022 of 22 percent, much faster than average for all occupations.
Mental health counselors and specialists may help with such issues as:
- Addictions and substance abuse
- Family and marital issues
Social and Human Service Assistants
Provide help to community members through rehabilitation, social work, and/or family support. Jobs in this area are expected to grow 22 percent or higher from 2012 through 2022.
Social and human service assistants:
- Help clients find and obtain potential benefits and resources.
- Assist in developing and running programs on substance abuse. relationships, dependent care and more.
- Create actions plans for ongoing individual and family support.
Potential jobs within social service agencies include administrative roles, being a program analyst, or senior researcher/analyst.
To learn more about careers in Community Psychology and how the online MSAP can help you pursue them, call 877-791-7181 or request more information online.
1All statistics on this page from O-Net Online, http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/19-3031.01, http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1094.00, http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1014.00, http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1093.00, accessed Sept. 19, 2014